At Living Hope, we seek to realize our heritage as the family of God that transforms the world by fostering authentic community and helping people encounter Jesus through the generations.
OUR MINISTRY VALUES
1. BIBLICAL TEACHING AND PREACHING We believe that preaching and teaching should be biblically based and primarily expositional, theologically instructive, and intended to help us love God and others and transform us to become more like Jesus.
2. THE GLORY OF GOD We believe that the purpose of life and our church family is to love God and enjoy Him forever. God is most glorified when we focus all that we do on the Gospel of Jesus Christ and allow ourselves to be led by the Holy Spirit. We believe God is glorified and desires to work through the prayer of His people, both corporately and privately.
3. THE FAMILY OF GOD We believe that the church reflects the spiritual reality of our kinship as brothers and sisters through the work of Jesus Christ on the cross. We desire our church to be a place for all people to belong. For those who have placed their faith in Jesus, we believe that God unites us as a spiritual family together. Just as we do not choose our hereditary family members, we do not choose our spiritual family members; therefore, we are united not through common interest, hobbies, or personalities, but through the transforming power of the Gospel. We want our community to be authentic and as integrated as possible which means we do not desire to divide our church family with worship services that target particular styles, tastes (e.g. contemporary, traditional), or life-stages (e.g. youth service). God has a reason and purpose for every single member of the family, regardless of age, gender, or ethnicity. As a family, we seek to encourage every member to see themselves as ministers in whatever field of ministry God has called them to (either in or outside of the church). Therefore, discipleship, training, and leadership development are high priorities.
4. THE GREAT COMMISSION We believe that the local church should have evangelism and missions as major priorities both locally and globally. This is reflected in our financial commitments, training, prayer, and teaching. Currently, our missions budget is 20% of our overall budget will allows us to partner with missionaries across the globe. Our commitment to missions and evangelism grows out of the desire that God be glorified. We believe that we encounter Jesus primarily through authentic community and discipleship. We therefore devote less resources towards hosting large-scale events and more resources towards building relationships.
5. SERVANT LEADERSHIP We believe that the New Testament teaches a plurality of elders as the model of church leadership. We believe pastors/elders should function primarily as shepherds who emphasize the ministry of the word, prayer, discipleship and the spiritual health of the church family. Deacons are elected to assist elders in matters of administration, managing, &etc. All leaders are called to lead like Jesus in humility and love.
6. DIVERSITY As the English ministry of an immigrant church, we recognize the unique perspectives and barriers that our culture plays in our spiritual lives. We believe that all people are made in the image of God which includes our unique ethnic backgrounds. Specifically, for Living Hope, we recognize and value the Chinese heritage that marked our beginnings, while at the same time, strive towards developing our new American identity. We seek to integrate people of all races and socioeconomic backgrounds.
7. GENERATIONAL We believe that each member of the church family has a role to play. Regardless of age or life-stage, we believe that every person offers a unique perspective and possess gifts that build up the family of God. We therefore devote a significant percentage of our resources towards intentional discipleship.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
1. BIBLE We believe the whole Bible in the original manuscripts, both Old and New Testaments, to be the inerrant word of God, inspired by God, the complete revelation of His will for the salvation of man, and the Divine and ultimate authority for all Christian faith and life.
2. TRIUNE GOD We believe in one God, creator of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three persons: God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. We believe that Jesus Christ is true God and true man, conceived of the Holy Spirit and born of the Virgin Mary. He died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins. Further, He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of God the Father, He now is our Mediator, High Priest, and Advocate. We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Third Person of the Trinity, who is equal in power and coexistent with the Father and the Son. His ministry is to convict men, regenerate the believing sinners, and indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believers for godly living and service.
3. MAN We believe that man was created in the image and likeness of God. But in Adam, man has fallen into sin and incurred condemnation and both physical and spiritual death. As a sinner, man is completely helpless and in need of God for salvation.
4. SALVATION We believe that the shed blood of Jesus Christ & His resurrection provide the only ground for justification and salvation for all who respond in repentance toward God and faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. Repentance and faith are inseparable experiences of grace. Repentance is a genuine turning from sin toward God. Faith is the acceptance of Jesus Christ and commitment of the entire person to Him as Lord and Savior. There is no other way of salvation apart from Jesus Christ. All the redeemed, once saved, are kept by God's power, forever secured in Jesus Christ.
5. CHURCH We believe that the true Church is composed of all such persons who, through saving faith in Jesus Christ, have been regenerated by the Holy Spirit and are united together in the body of Christ of which He is the Head. The Church is to bring glory to God. We also believe that water baptism and the Lord's Supper are ordinances to be observed by the church during the present age. They are, however, not to be regarded as means of salvation.
6. SECOND COMING OF CHRIST We believe in the personal & imminent coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. We also believe in the bodily resurrection of the dead. The believers will be resurrected into everlasting blessedness and joy with the Lord and the unrighteous to judgement and everlasting conscious punishment.